Return of Fantastiko

This is it -- our piece of the rock, where we set the agenda and lay the smack down. Or (more likely) exchange ideas civilly, listen intently, and learn from each other and from our visitors. Fantastiko offers political fireworks, news that flies under the radar, and a safe place for constructive debate.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Social Sewhat?

The following comes to me through a friend, and I haven't checked the source. However, having acknowledged the possibility that it could be partly bogus, I think it's still worth sharing in order to give Fantastikans a nearly real--if not entirely real--representation of how our President has wrapped his mind neatly around the Social Security issue and has come to dominate it to the point of feeling comfortable enough to propose significant and life-changing alterations:

Because the- all which is on the table begins to address the big cost drivers. For example, how benefits are calculate, for example, is on the table; whether or not benefits rise based upon wage increases or price increases. There's a series of parts of the formula that are being considered. And when you couple that, those different cost drivers, affecting those-changing those with personal accounts, the idea is to get what has been promised more likely to be-or closer delivered to what has been promised.

Does that make any sense to you? It's kind of muddled. Look, there's a series of things that ause the-like, for example, benefits are calculated based upon the increase of wages, as opposed to the increase of prices. Some have suggested that we calculate-the benefits will rise based upon inflation, as opposed to wage increases. There is a reform that would help solve the red if that were put into effect. In other words, how fast benefits grow, how fast the promised benefits grow, if those-if that growth is affected, it will help on the red.

-President Bush explaining his plan to save Social Security, Tampa, Fla., Feb. 4, 2005
I give him this: word-for-word quotes would make anyone look like a 3rd grade dropout. But this?? I have my doubts that this is English.

--JB

1 Comments:

Blogger The Decider said...

I want to comment on his policy--although he hasn't really proposed one yet--but I'd like to read the whole text first. The quote is posted on the white house webpage:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/02/20050204-13.html

On his speaking skills: this passage reminds me of what I feel like when I try to regurgitate something I was told that makes SOME sense, but isn't entirely clear. This is what I sound like when I try to relay to my wife what the mechanic has said about my car.

Is Bush stupid? No. He's just not a good policy person. If you can't explain something clearly, you don't get what you're explaining.

He's stupid for trying though (as if nobody would notice. You have a website, Mr. President!).

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home